|Users' Overall rating|
|3 Positive Reviews - 1 Negative Reviews|
Web.com is a large web hosting company that has several subsidiaries, including Network Solutions and Register.com. The company is very different from other web hosting companies in both its target market and the way in which it packages its services. Unlike other hosting companies, which mainly focus on providing web space, web servers and network infrastructure, Web.com’s main focus is on providing customized turnkey solutions for small businesses. The company has over three million customers and it claims to have over 30 years of experience in its field.
Web.com web hosting products and features:
Web.com offers a variety of solutions, which include design, content, hosting, e-commerce, marketing, SEO, SEM and maintenance services.
1. Custom turnkey website (eWorks! XL package):
This package is meant for people who can’t or don’t want to spend their time and resources on installing and maintaining their websites. It is a fully customized and comprehensive solution, which takes care of everything from requirement study to maintenance. Here are the highlights:
- Interview by Web.com experts to understand the customer’s business, requirements and goals.
- Professional website design and copy.
- Search engine submission and website promotion.
- Unlimited changes for a month. After the first month, one hour of editing and support is provided free every month.
- Expert support is available for online marketing.
- E-commerce store can be added (optional).
- Free domain for annual plans and above.
- Unlimited storage, bandwidth and email boxes.
- 10 GB email storage.
2. DIY website (template based):
This package is suitable for people who wish to build their own website using a site builder. The package can be upgraded to include marketing assistance and an online store. Customers get a free domain name, unlimited storage and bandwidth, unlimited email accounts and free access to a large stock image library.
3. E-commerce website:
This is a DIY hosted e-commerce solution that can be used to sell physical products, digital products and services. The store can be fully customized using templates and design tools. Expert help and online resources are available to reduce the learning curve. Payments can be securely processed with Web.com’s PCI compliant payment gateway. Marketing and analytics tools are also included in the package.
4. Shared web hosting:
The Unix based shared web hosting comes in three plans: Essential, Professional and Premium.
- Over 300 GB of storage and unlimited bandwidth.
- Free domain for the first year for annual subscription and above
- Domains allowed: 3 to 10.
- Up to 100 domains can be parked.
- Email: 10 to 25 mailboxes with total storage of 50 to 125 GB depending upon the plan.
- Email features: IMAP access, auto-responders and email alias.
- FTP accounts: 25 to unlimited.
- Scripting: Ruby, PHP5, Zend libraries, Python, JSP, phpMyAdmin and cronjobs.
- MySQL databases: 25 to unlimited.
- Database size: 300MB to unlimited.
Infrastructure, reliability, support and user experience:
Web.com offers a 99.9% uptime guarantee to its customers. Scheduled maintenance and interruptions due to errors in customer or third party software are excluded. In case the committed uptime is not achieved, customers can claim hosting credits. Hosting credits are given in terms of hours and can sometimes be more than the actual unplanned downtime. Credits can only be used to renew the hosting.
Support is provided round the clock over the phone. Customers can also create support tickets via email. There are many self-help options in the form of blogs, newsletters and articles. The Web.com website does not provide clear information about the type of control panel included in the web hosting package, but in all probability, a custom control panel is being offered.
- Web.com gives comprehensive solutions including design, marketing and SEO, which is a good option for small businesses.
- Managed web hosting allows customers to focus on running their company instead of worrying about website design or maintenance. Even people without any technical knowledge can have a professional website made.
- US based technical support is provided.
- Uptime guarantee is available and hosting credit is provided in case of default.
- Web.com’s plain web hosting plan is pretty basic when compared to other hosting companies. Offering just web hosting is obviously not its main focus.
- Shared hosting comes with a custom control panel, which may be considered a disadvantage by people who prefer standard control panels like the cPanel.
Overall Web.com review:
Web.com is a good choice for those who are looking for a comprehensive turnkey solution. Although individuals may not find the hosting packages very attractive, it is a good choice for small businesses as it provides a fully managed solution. The company is well established and is well known in the market. As such, customers need not worry too much about the quality of service, reliability of their website or the security of their data.