Omnis reviewPosted by WebHostsReview
|Editor's Overall rating|
Based in Tempe, Arizona, Omnis has been in the web hosting business since 1999. It was established with an aim to provide high-quality, but affordable domain registration and shared web hosting services. The company has since then upgraded its product range to include servers and co-location services. Currently, it has over 400,000 clients and provides affordable and reliable cloud hosting solutions. Omnis is a CNET certified service provider and has won numerous awards. All its technical staff and customer support personnel are based in their Arizona office.
Omnis Web hosting products and features
Omnis provides cloud based shared hosting, VPS and a wide range of dedicated servers. All the plans are available with Linux and Windows options.
1. Shared web hosting
Shared web hosting comes with a choice of CentOS (Linux) or Windows options. According to the company, its shared hosting is designed to give the best reliability and performance in the market. The Windows plan is slightly more expensive and is perfect for hosting ASP.NET applications. There are only two plans, one for Linux and one for Windows.
- Unlimited disk space, bandwidth, domains and subdomains.
- Unlimited MySQL databases and users. High-speed database access with Omnis MySQL SSD RAID storage and powerful database servers.
- Free domain registration (first year) for a minimum subscription period of one year.
- Unlimited cloud based email accounts with POP3 / IMAP access, email forwarding and spam filters.
- Easy to use custom control panel.
- Web based file manager and three different web based email clients.
- Script installer: over 40 scripts available.
- Site builder (up to 3 pages are free). A premium site builder is also available at extra cost.
- Visitor statistics and logs.
- Shared SSL is free. Private SSL and dedicated IP are available at extra cost.
- 30 days money back guarantee and 99.9% uptime assurance.
- FTP and SFTP.
- PHP 5.3 / 5.4
- Zend Optimizer.
Features available only in the Linux plan:
- Multiple FTP users.
- Secure shell access (SSH).
- PHP 5.5, Python, Perl 5 and Ruby.
Cloud based VPS hosting is available in six plans, three for Linux and three for Windows, with a choice of 32 or 64 bit OS.
- Instant scalability: Subscribers can add or reduce resources whenever required.
- Dual quad core servers with RAID protected storage.
- cPanel can be installed instead of the custom control panel.
- Full root access, total freedom to install software and the ability to reboot remotely.
- Control panel allows multiple servers to be controlled from the same login and the OS can also be reinstalled if required.
- No long-term contract is required.
- Web based console access: VNC for Windows and serial console over SSH for Linux.
- Continuous proactive server monitoring. Problems are detected and fixed even before they are reported.
Linux plan options:
- OS: Choice of CentOS, Debian or Ubuntu.
- Disk space: 50 to 100 GB.
- Bandwidth: 500 to 1000 GB
- Guaranteed RAM: 512 to 1536 MB.
Windows plan options:
- OS: Windows 2008 (Web or Standard) or Windows 2012
- Disk space: 25 to 75 GB.
- Bandwidth: 500 to 1000 GB.
- Guaranteed RAM: 512 to 1024 MB
3. Dedicated servers:
Omnis uses its own custom-built servers using premium hardware. This allows the company to offer highly customizable options that are not usually offered by other hosts. Omnis offers two categories of dedicated servers: Standard and Premium. Standard servers are available in a choice of standard configurations and can be deployed at short notice. Premium servers can be tailor made according to customer requirements and may take some time for deployment. The company also offers older generation servers at a discount for stock clearance. These are subject to availability.
Standard server features:
- Many configurations to choose from.
- Processor options: Intel Core i3, Xeon E3, Quad Core Xeon, Dual Quad Core Xeon and Core i7.
- RAM: 4 to 16 GB.
- Disk space: 80 GB to 1 TB.
- Bandwidth: 6 TB.
- IPv4/29 range is included and IPv6/64 range is available at extra cost.
- Custom control panel includes a power manager for remote rebooting, power-on and power-off. It also includes a web based reverse DNS manager and a real-time graphical view of bandwidth usage.
Infrastructure, reliability, support and user experience
Omnis has its own secure data center in Tempe, Arizona with Cisco networking for high reliability. Multiple Tier-1 fiber-optic connections, managed through facilities of IO and Phoenix NAP, provide reliable, high-speed data connectivity. Power backup is provided by UPS and diesel generators. The company provides an industry standard 99.9% uptime assurance. However, it is not a guarantee and no credits are provided in case of failure to achieve the specified uptime level.
The staff is based in Phoenix and there is no outsourcing even for technical support. Omnis has highly trained and experienced technical staff and customer support specialists. Support is provided by telephone, live chat and email. A knowledge base, which provides basic information and answers to frequently asked questions, is available. Some video tutorials are also available.
- Cloud hosting provides excellent speed and reliability.
- The company offers a limited money-back guarantee for a period of 30 days from subscription.
- US based telephone and technical support is provided.
- The dedicated server plans are customizable and flexible.
- The services are competitively priced.
- There are no disadvantages other than having to learn their custom control panel. It is an easy to learn control panel with neatly laid out options and functions. Even inexperienced users are not likely to face any steep learning curve. All standard functionality is provided, but cPanel fans may be disappointed. cPanel is offered in VPS plans.
Overall Omnis review
Omnis is a good choice for people looking for a US based web hosting provider with good infrastructure and US based support. Their product range offers good options at reasonable prices that will easily exceed the requirements of most websites. For very high traffic websites, Omnis also provides co-location services, which allow customers to install their own servers in the Omnis data center.